Friday, November 9, 2012

On Feeling Complacent

Complacent- Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned


Satisfied to a fault.  That describes my state of mind right now.  I'm feeling complacent.  In my job, in my spiritual life, in my every day life, complacent, unmoved, unmotivated...satisfied.  I'm not satisfied in a good way though.  It's like the color grey.  Not, bright and moving nor dark and dull, just there, just grey.  Not to say I'm grumpy or sad or depressed.  No, I'm just not motivated.  Do you ever feel that way?  Maybe it's just me.  I'm going along with the motions of life.  I like to feel passionate, driven, excited, enthused.  Complacency does not yield those feelings.  It leads to stagnation and contentment.  I don't want to be stagnant.  I want to ebb and flow, meet the challenge head on, continually seek out new adventure, always seek Christ in new ways, but I'm not doing that right now.  I'm just floatingSecurity and comfort are important to sanity, yes, but detrimental to growth.  I want to expand my horizons and pour back into my passions.  I want to light the fire of excitement and dig deep into what life has to offer.  The answer is simple, but the action is hard.  I think that's what makes it fun.  You've got to take control of your life and get out of the rut of complacency.  Maybe I'll try a new hobby or just get motivated to get out from in front of the television. Maybe I'll read a new counseling journal and get excited about my job again.  Maybe I'll listen to a new worship album or pour myself into volunteering at church again instead of just showing up.  I don't know what the cure is, but the blessing is that there is a cure and it's a fun one.  Just get off my booty and take control.  It's my one and only life to do it.  

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...