Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brighten Someone's Day


One important concept I have learned through my training as a counselor is that everyone has issues.  You never know what is going on in someone's life.  People you think are perfectly fine are walking around with a mask every single day.  As the old adage goes, "you can't judge a book by its cover".  I really believe this is true and it calls us to take action.  We have the power to brighten someone's day instantly.  It may be a smile as you walk by someone, a "hi, how are you" to a store employee, or a wave to a neighbor.  Making someone feel special is easier than it seems.  It does not take going out of your way or some elaborate plan.  I am guilty of putting my head down as I pass someone or just going through the motions in the checkout line, but I want to be more intentional in my interactions with people.  If one smile can change the course of someone's day then I am not beyond trying.  We are all fragile and vulnerable to bad days.  Why not take the initiative to truly show Christ's love through our interactions with strangers?  You never know what impact you can have on someone's life and they may never tell you, but know you can plant a seed of happiness and care that can transform a person's day and in turn have lasting effects in their life.  So smile friends and know you are making a difference. 

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...